Walking on a minefield
Yes, you can buy cakes from Walmart bakery department. Moreover, you can even survive for a while eating them! But please, do not complain when one day you feel low energy or you have got diabetes, low testosterone, high blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, infertility, depression, ADHD, brain damage or cancer. That was YOUR choice. The only thing that bothers me is to make sure that it really was your informed intentional choice. When people drink alcohol, do drugs or smoke cigarettes they clearly realize that they may harm their health and reduce their lifespan. But when millions of Americans shop at Walmart bakery department they often do NOT realize that they are walking on a minefield.
DyeDiet Doesn’t Buy It!
Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake: Risk, Nutrition and Dye Content
It has been estimated that average American consume whooping 130 pounds of sugar annually. But how can you estimate how many pounds of so many chemical food additives you consume? Healthy cakes traditionally are made of only a few ingredients: flour, water, yeasts, sugar, eggs and butter. OK, 12 ingredients are all you need to bake chocolate cake.
Chemical food surrogate
Chocolate Cookie Cake of Walmart bakery consists of the total 68 ingredients with 17 anti-nutrients (red segments in the diagram) 15 non-nutrients (yellow segments) and 36 nutrients (green segments) including a number of processed starches and natural gums. We know that food manufacturers add all those chemicals for commercial, not nutritional, reasons such as extended shelf-life, improved flavor, color, mouth-feel, etc., while baking for you with “deadly” processed components. But 68 – 12 = 56 commercial ingredients which include 420 mg of artificial food colorants seem too “explosive” to me! The question follows:
Is this Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake still a food or something else that can be stored forever? My answer is: No, it is NOT because it doesn’t match the definition of food. Then what is it? Well, it is a food imitation or food surrogate; whatever you do like better.
Newly published study has demonstrated that consuming high amounts of bacon, sausage, hot dogs and other processed meats can raise your risk of premature death by 44 percent with cancer and heart disease as the main causes. What makes you so sure that eating this chemical-rich Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake will not give you cancer sooner than you can imagine?
The Dye Diet Calculator helps to avoid risky food
The Dye Diet Calculator shows that you will take bad Health Risk of DDFI = 1.9 and you will get almost no Nutritional Value of DDNF = 0.38 if you indulge in Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake of Walmart Bakery. It also suggests a list of potentially dangerous food additives for you to avoid.
Food additives to avoid:
- 11 artificial color additives. Artificial colors detected: 110 mg of Red 40; 30 mg of Red 3; 30 mg of Blue 1; 120 mg of Yellow 5 and 130 mg of Yellow 6. Recent studies showed that mixtures artificial food dyes with potassium or sodium benzoate preservatives may cause hyperactive behaviour in children and perhaps cancers. Please read the CSPI document Food Dyes: A Rainbow of Risks
- Carrageenan is gelling, thickening and stabilizing agent. It is naturally occurring polysaccharide obtained from seaweeds. Although by its chemical structure it is related to starches, it was found that when it breaks down or degrade to smaller pieces, it may trigger inflammation. Based on research conducted in laboratory animals, the International Agency for Research on Cancer recognizes degraded carrageenan as a “possible human carcinogen.”
- Sodium benzoate is known to produce benzene, a known carcinogen in presence of acids, such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C), citric acid, etc.
- Artificial flavors are chemicals kept in secrecy and added to imitate flavor of a natural product
- Polysorbale 60 is a synthetic emulsifier derived from ethylene glycol, a principal ingredient of car coolant that is toxic for humans. Polysorbate 60 may contain residual ethylene glycol.
Bottom line. Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake of Walmart bakery is not a food but rather a chemical food surrogate to avoid. From the other hand, Double Crust Apple Pie of Walmart Bakery (check with the Dye Diet Calculator) looks much safer so you can enjoy eating it in moderation: You will not be forced to take health risk from chemicals (DDFI = 0) and you will get moderate Nutritional Value of (DDNF = 1.07). Good!
That’s how the DyeDiet Calculator helps you to survive walking through the minefield of processed food!