Squirt thirst quencher with BVO

[ 1 ] July 5, 2012 |

This is another soft drink from Dr Pepper/Seven Up Company. According to the Wikipedia, “Squirt was created by Herb Bishop in 1938, after experimenting with a similar citrus drink, Citrus Club. He created a new, carbonated drink which required both less fruit juice and less sugar. The product received its name because the drink was claimed to “squirt” into one’s mouth like a freshly squeezed grapefruit.” Nice! But…

DyeDiet Doesn’t Buy It!

Squirt: Risk and Nutrition diagramSquirt: Risk and Nutrition diagram

I don’t know what Squirt had looked like back in 1938 but its today version is nothing but water and High Fructose Corn Syrup in 98% of the content. Welcome to the 21th Century! The rest 2% are chemical preservatives and emulsifiers including highly toxic brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Please read a PDF document Toxic Effects of Brominated Vegetable Oils. One of the health problems with BVO is that it can damage DNA because it may act as an alkylating agent. For these reasons if you drink Squirt, you take high chemical risk of DDFI = 27/13 ~ 2.0 and you will get miserable nutritional value of DDNF = 13/39 ~ 0.3. Why to hurt yourself and your loved ones? They say ester gum is used as a natural alternative to BVO. However, as you can see, for some reason, Squirt still contains the both of them.

Better thirst quenchers. Mineral and filtered water which you can find at Walmart stores are superior thirst quenchers.

No sugars, no artificial colors, no emulsifiers, no BVO. Stay healthy, hydrate yourself right!

Tags: , ,

Category: Soft drinks

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. John Dorian says:

    You make a number of good points. However, your suggestion as an alternative to this beverage is mineral water?

    They are not even close to the same. I just purchased this soda for the first time ever, today. I did not purchase it because I thought, “Oh this is the best option for quenching my thirst, since it says it on the bottle!”

    No, my thought process was more along the lines of, “Hmm, I want something sweet and delicious that I haven’t tried before.” I then proceeded and notice pepsi and it’s varieties, Coca-Cola and it’s varieties, etc… and then saw Squirt.

    I did take some teas and juices into consideration, but I chose Squirt because I hadn’t had it, and it knew it would be sweet and delicious.

    Why not think critically here and offer up a suggestion that seems remotely comparable. Like maybe a different citrus beverage which looks very much like Squirt, known as Fresca. Don’t like fresca because of the artificial sweeteners? Offer a suggestion like aquafina’s water with hints of lemon or fruit flavor?

    I mean seriously; if I wanted soda and you were telling me to have mineral water instead, because it’s a healthier and better way to hydrate myself, I’d laugh in your face.

Leave a Reply

Please calculate *